As its been awhile since I last posted thanks to having a busy couple of weeks between Thanksgiving and late nights at work I have not had much time for hobby stuff but I figured I should post an update on the Tamiya F4U Corsair I am building. Now I originally began posting about this build over on my Tumblr, but I have decided to post all future updates on the project here (much like all my 40k stuff).
As a kid I always enjoyed building model cars and planes but I never bothered to paint them and more often then not would never decal them either, so my bedroom shelf’s and dressers were covered in grey plastics . Even now I much prefer the act of assembling the kits more so than painting them as I have found that I can endlessly worst several hours on painting and make very little progress due to being a perfectionist with painting. But with the need to paint hundreds of miniatures ahead of me I have started to develop new techniques that help speed up the painting process, as well as buying an Iwata airbrush.
The 1/32 Tamiya F4U-1 Corsair “Birdcage” is probably not the easiest model kit to jump back into building scale models but I have always been a fan of the oddball designs that saw use during World War 2 and through the beginning of the Cold War. This kit is the latest 1/32 kit from Tamiya and is based on the first generation of the Vought Corsair carrier-fighter that never really saw use on carriers due to design choices that made carrier operation difficult. This was later resolved with alterations to the design to improve visibility and reduce the likelihood of starboard wing stalling on slower carrier landings.
This kit is fairly detailed and like many model airplanes (based on what I have read online and in print) starts with building the cockpit. Given the era in which the plane was built there is a lot of open structure within it rather then the more tub like design of modern cockpits. Now I don’t have any unpainted pictures of the cockpit parts other than the seat but you can see the amount of detail that Tamiya has built into this kit.
From this I built up and painting the rest of the cockpit and assembled the seat onto the back plate. Following this I applied a matte varnish to dull the finish slightly and seal in the decals. The downside to this was that it was the first time I have applied a matte varnish (spray or otherwise) so I did not realize it would cause the reticule and bullet proof glass to fog up. At this point I don’t have much that I can do to fix this fogged up glass short of removing the pieces and possibly breaking something in the process, so I will just leave it as is.
When I was not working on the cockpit I put together the fuselage halves as they needed some additional controls for the pilot as well as structure for the tail wheel.
For the coloring of the fuselage halves as well as the cockpit I followed the instruction manual and used a 2:1 mixture of Tamiya Flat Green and Flat Blue. Personally I found the color to be not “accurate” to what I have seen in the reference material included with the kit as well as the F4U Corsair walk around by Squadron Signal that I picked up. Based on what I have seen in the future I will be more likely to apply a much lighter green known as interior green as I have a few other WW2 planes to build at the moment.
As of now the plane is coming together and I will provide additional updates over the coming weeks (months really) as I work through the build as I am still deciding how I will assemble the landing gear and flaps.
I will also be proving updates on Gundam, videogames, and wargames as well as I will be on vacation over the X-mas holiday into next year.